Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pride swallowing

ok, so I had my meeting to discuss employment with the company I work for. one thing- I have a job. They want to keep me and give me a minor raise, which would bring me to below what I was making at my previous job. Oh, and I don't get any vacation, holidays off, or sick time or 401k. Oh, and I don't get healthcare yet. So.... this kind of sucks! Yes, I have a job, which I am very greatful for. I think I would rather have a job with crappy, or no benefits than no job at all. The thing that stings is that I am working harder, I have more responsibilities and generally deserve more money than what I was making before. It really stings. Their excuse is that they are a construction company, not a design firm so they don't provide things that a design firm does. I just need to keep reminding myself that it's not permanent, it's not permanent, it's not permanent. I hate this economy. Because of it I will be basically taking it up the you know what until I can find something else.
The other thing that bugs me, is that this place is sooooo unprofessional! It's a family owned and run business so there are a lot of petty, stupid things that happen and an extreme lack of organization. I try to suggest or introduce a better more streamlined way of doing things and the excuse is that everyone is different and has their own way of doing things. It's like trying to move a pile of dirt with a trowel, slooooow going.
It sucks to feel stuck because of the economy. Yes, I have a job, but what have I given up to have it?
I'm not trying to be insensitive to those of you who have been bitten by the unemployment bug, I've been there. It's just frustrating.

No comments: