Sunday, June 21, 2009

A serious labor of love! Done!

I've been working on a secret project for quite a while now, it's only been secret because the people that it was for read the blog.
I have known one of my truest and best friends since I was in kindergarten, or preschool really. She got married to the most awesome guy two years ago this past May. Not long after they got married I got it in my head that I was going to make them a quilt. At the time I didn't really know much about quilting so it's been a lesson for sure. I chose the fabrics, cut the squares and worked on the images almost two years ago and then it sat in a bag until I resumed working on it earlier this year.
They got married in Yosemite in the spring and it was absolutely beautiful. The quilt is all about the wedding and Yosemite. I sepia toned the photos and printed them on fabric and chose the fabrics to coordinate and match the sepia tone.
Last week I decided to go home for Father's Day and when I decided to go I also decided that I really wanted to finish the quilt and finally give it to them. I pretty much worked on it non-stop from Tuesday until an hour before I was supposed to be at their house for dinner on Saturday.
I love how it turned out and was so happy that they loved it.
The interior of the quilt is all hand quilted and I used the machine to go around the edge of the squares.
Anyways... here are some pics.
Working on the quilt on Saturday with only about 12" left to go! I was excited!

Checking for threads...



5 comments:

NorCalMrs said...

It truly looks amazing. You did a fabulous job!

Erin said...

So jealous. I SOOOO wish myself or my friends were sewers so I could have one of these! I LOVE the idea of the pictures! So cool!

Unknown said...

That is gorgeous! You are an awesome friend to have done this. I'm sure they will cherish it :)

Butterfly said...

What a wonderful job you have done. I cannot believe you hand quilted (to me hand = a four letter word!!! lol I do everything by machine) I would love to see the photos up close. I know your friends will cherish this for ever.

Anonymous said...

Woah!! Look at the close up of that hand quilted stippling! That's amazing, Amy!!