Monday, August 17, 2009

Reduce, REUSE, Recycle

I've been thinking lately about ways I can continue to be more green, or at least follow through with things that I have done in the past or thought about doing. I've started saving the containers that some of the food I buy comes in. They can be washed in the dishwasher and reused as tupperware containers. If you eat yogurt and you garden the containers can be used as starter pots for seeds. If you have kids that like to be creative you can use them as paint containers, or they can be cut up into other fun things! The key is to give these items as many useful lives as you can before they are sent to the dump or hopefully recycled.
Another small thing I did recently was buy my oatmeal in bulk from Whole Foods. It was super cheap and I brought it home in a plastic bag and put it into the oatmeal container I last bought my oatmeal in. You can also get all kinds of spices in bulk at Whole Foods! I got whole peppercorns there a couple days ago. I love standing by all of those containers of spices, it smells so good!
As you can see to the left, I've used my Greek yogurt container to keep cut up melon in!

1 comment:

NorCalMrs said...

I do the same thing! I keep all of my sorbet, cool whip, etc containers and use them as tupperware. I feel better reusing them and not throwing them away. I love your idea for starting seeds in them. I've been wanting to grow herbs for my window box and I will use some left over yogurt containers! Thanks for the idea!