Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I finally made my own cleaner!

It was so much easier than I thought it would be, and probably cheaper than buying a bottle of 409 that is bad for the environment. I went to Whole Foods, I know, typically everything is more expensive there but in this case it was pretty cheap. My total for these three items was $6.21 and only because I had to pay for the little bottle that I brought the soap home in. I got Dr. Bronners lavender soap in bulk, white vinegar, and baking soda. oh, and I used an almost empty bottle that I had laying around, even a little more green!

This is the recipe I used. I got the lavender soap rather than the peppermint.

Minty Fresh All Purpose Cleaner
Yield: 1 Quart
• 2 tablespoons peppermint liquid castile soap
• 1/4 cup baking soda
• 1/4 white vinegar
• Water to fill quart spray bottle

Mix all ingredients in the bottle. Spray on cloth, mop or directly on surface. Note: ingredients include baking soda AND vinegar... This means a fun, fuzzy reaction will occur when the ingredients are mixed. Its not dangerous, it is cool, don’t be freaked out

Check out Dr. Bronners multipurpose soaps here. You can read about their products, activism and other fun stuff! Following is a blurb from their website about their soaps.

Completely Biodegradable and Vegetable-Based
Made with Certified Fair Trade and Organic Oils
Multi-Purpose: 18-in-1 Uses
No Synthetic Foaming Agents, Thickeners or Preservatives

100% Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) Cylinder Bottles and Paper Labels
Simple, Ecological Formulations Based on Old-World Quality and Expertise
#1-Selling Natural Brand of Soaps in North America


So for all of you that have hesitated about doing this, it's really easy! And it smells good! Hopefully I've inspired some of or at least one of you to try this! It's good for you, for your kids and pets, and for the environment!

No comments: