Thursday, October 2, 2008

My grandma's service

I was lucky enough to get to take home a cd that was made of my grandma's memorial service. I mentioned in a post below about how touching the sermon was. I think we all felt like the pastor was talking to each of us directly, and some people actually thought he was talking to me too. I could go on and on forever in telling you about the sermon but I'll keep it as short as I can. He talked about avalanches and how we all have avalanches in our lives. Even such simple phrases such as "you have cancer" or " you're mother has died" or " I want a divorce" can turn your life upside down and into a tailspin. At this point I started sobbing, thank goodness not many people knew that it was because of something else happening in my life. Anyhow, he went on to say that when an avalanche happens in your life that there are three things he reccomends doing.
1. Hang on to God. You'll never know tht God is all you need until God is all you have.
2. Take some time to evaluate your life. There is something to learn from every avalanche and there is always a way to grow after every crisis.
3. Find true North, assess the direction of your life.
Now I have not been an overly religion person in the last 8-10 years of my life and I have often thought about going back to church. If I had the pleasure of hearing the pastor from my Grandma's church every Sunday I might just do that. Alas, he is too far away for that.
I am doing some great thinking about the things that he said on Tuesday. I listened to the cd this morning on the way to work, and again after I got here. It seemed to calm me down. I think I will be doing more ruminating and possibly more blogging on this subject but I'll stop for now.
I realize that many people out there are not religious and can be offended or put off by religious talk. If you are one of these folks, feel free to ignore my occasional thoughts on religion and the existence of God.

No comments: