Sunday, December 7, 2008

Just call me Betty...or Martha

Last night I made banana bread, this morning I made the ice cream that I mixed last night, and I just finished turkey soup. I've even got the kitchen cleaned up for the most part which I hate doing.
My mom sent part of the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving home with me so I could make soup. I decided I better actually use it rather than buy expensive canned soup. For those of you that have never made soup from scratch you really should try it. It tastes great, you control what ingredients go into it, including the sodium, and it's cheap to do not to mention easy. Here is my soup and the loose recipe. Put the carcass in a large pot and cover or almost cover it with either just water or a mix of water and store bought broth or stock. Simmer or lightly boil for about a half hour. Remove the carcass and set out on a cookie sheet covered with foil. Pick as much of the turkey off of the carcass and throw it into the pot with the stock. Discard the carcass when you are done.

The veggies I included this time were carrots, onions, celery and potato. You don't have to sautee them first but I think it might give a bit more flavor to them if they are cooked this way first. I'm sure I saw that on the Food Network or something.

I added lentils and pasta as well. I put the lentils in before any of the other stuff right after adding the turkey back in because they take a bit longer to soften up. After the lentils have simmered for a bit and softened you can add the veggies. Let those simmer for a bit and then add potatoes, and then the pasta. As far as flavor and seasonings you can add whatever you like. I just throw in whatever is in the spice cupboard that sounds good. Salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, nutmeg, basil, bay leaf, and whatever else I've got. You can also throw in a chicken bouillion cube if you like.

All done!

No comments: