Friday, January 30, 2009

Ok, so this is really cool! Yesterday I went to the Humane Society of Silicon Valley for an orientation on being a volunteer. I've been thinking about becoming a volunteer for a while now and for several reasons. Partially because I want a dog of my own but can't have one in my current place. Even if I could I don't think I would do a very good job because I've never had a dog of my own and need to learn about the different breeds and behaviors. What better way to learn?! That and I have no job and time on my hands...
So today I emailed the woman in charge and told her that I am available to start volunteering asap and that I would like to be a dog socializer but would like to wait to do the training until their new facility is ready. In the meantime I can help with other things if they need the help.
Their new facility is going to be a LEED gold building! How cool is that!? One thing that should be done with a LEED building that is used for the public is an educational component. They need to do signage to have around the place and they want me to start helping with it right away! Oh, and they would like me to attend a conference with them on the 20th of February! Wow! I'm excited and nervous! This is a great thing to do, I'm volunteering my time for a good cause but this is also a great thing to put on my resume! I'm going to meet with them on Monday afternoon!

Go here to see their website and the details for their new facility. There is going to be a dog park, pet store, vetrinarian, dog habitat and cat habitat to name a few!


No comments: