Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Today has been a tough day

Well, Em is off and flying on her way to Italy. Today has been an emotionally taxing day. She has been so excited about going to Italy for a long time and when it came down to the day before and the day of she didn't want to go, which is understanding. We got up and going this morning and drove away from Starbucks at 6:00 am and got to SFO with plenty of time to spare! It's a good thing too because it took all morning to get things squared away. Because she is gone for such a long time and had heavier luggage than the limit she couldn't do a quick check in so we had to wait in a different line. She also has a bit of a special circumstance because she is a diabetic and we packed all of her supplies spread out between two suitcases and her backpack. She has to carry a letter from her doctor with all of the supplies, the airlines have pretty strict guidelines about carrying that type of stuff. After we got done with that line the security line was really short so all of a sudden we had to say goodbye so she could go through. Mom and I held it together pretty well until we hugged goodbye then we kind of lost it. She gets to go through the special door rather than the normal scanner dealy because of her insulin pump so she got wanded and frisked after they checked out her luggage. As she went in to the terminal we lost it and started crying. Luckily the TSA people were pretty understanding and didn't give us too hard of a time about hanging around the security checkpoint. She should be in the Chicago airport at any time now, I'm just waiting to hear from her. She's going to kill me for posting this picture, but it's not like she can come sit on me for it now! She wouldn't smile for me. I am so very very proud of my little sister for doing something way outside of her box. I don't know if I could ever do what she is doing at the age of 23. Em- you are going to have the most wonderful wonderful time and I'm so proud of you!

After we got back from SFO we went over to her little cottage and finished packing up the rest of the bits and bobs that were left and dad came and we loaded up her bed in the back of his truck to take home. We cleaned everything up so that the temporary tenants can move in. Two of her friends are going to live there for the 10 months she is gone. She was able to leave a lot of her stuff there which is nice.

My mom deserves quite the shoutout, she rocked getting Em ready to go, there was so much paperwork to fill out and copy and all of this other stuff. She got her organized and packed and off on the right foot.

I think I'm going to take it easy today, I got about 4 hours of sleep last night and not all that much the night before. I'm exhausted and just want to sit here and veg and cry if I want to.

If you want to follow her blog of her experiences in Italy it's in my sidebar

No comments: