Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Betty Crocker or Martha, whichever you prefer

I spent this weekend at my parents so that I could hang out with friends on Saturday evening and wth my mom on Sunday. I had a good time and ended up staying yesterday too just to hang out wth the dog and run some errands. I've been telling my mom that I wanted to learn how to can tomatoes like she does. It's something that her mom taught her and I think it's important to learn those types of things so I can pass them on. It's what keeps families going. On Sunday I canned tomatoes and made apple pies! I love hanging out with my mom doing these kinds of things because she is so good at teaching me. We started with the tomatoes, it's quite a process but well worth it when you can have your own home grown tomatoes in the middle of winter.
It's basically a process of sterilization and sealing the jars that pays off as you hear the jars pop as they are cooling. That signals that the seal is good.





Starting the pies...

One of the best parts of making pie crust is the leftover dough. We always make cinnamon and sugar crust with the leftovers. Yum.

I had a great time with my Mom this weekend!

No comments: