Friday, April 9, 2010

Bunting

Apparently bunting is also the name of a particular type of bird. Wikipedia defines bunting like this...
Bunting was originally a lightweight worsted wool fabric used for making flags of the Royal Navy. The origin of the word is uncertain.

Today, "bunting" is a term for any festive decorations made of fabric, or of plastic, paper or even cardboard in imitation of fabric. Typical forms of bunting are strings of colorful triangular flags and lengths of fabric in the colors of national flags gathered and draped into swags or pleated into fan shapes.
The term bunting is also used of a collection of flags, and particularly those of a ship.

I find myself mildly obsessed with bunting lately. It's a fun and festive way to show off some great fabrics but where to use it? I've been collecting pictures of bunting as I run across them. I'd love to make myself some, but I really don't know what to do with it, I'll figure something out eventually... :)

No comments: