Saturday, January 1, 2011

Beekman

I don't think I've shared one of my favorite obsessions with you all. Last spring I became aware of a new show that was going to be starting on Planet Green. It's called The Fabulous Beekman Boys. The Beekman Boys consist of Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell. Brent worked with Martha Stewart which is how I became familiar with him. His partner Josh, was a well known drag queen in New York City. While on a trip to upstate New York for their annual fall apple picking trip they fell in love with the Beekman mansion and decided to purchase it.
Josh has written two books, I've read both of them. The first one was about his life as a drag queen and the relationship that he was in. The second one couldn't be any different than the first, it's about their life at the Beekman and the stresses they went through in their first year of owning it.
The Beekman estate is not just a big mansion, it's a working farm. Josh and Brent have chickens, pigs, cows, turkeys and most importantly, goats. Being two city boys they didn't know too much about farming when they bought the place so they have Farmer John to help out, the goats are actually his. They raise their own food, they've slaughtered their own pigs and they try to create awareness about where the food we eat comes from.

They have worked hard and built a name and a business for themselves. I love them, I love their show and for the first time I can say I love one of their products! My sister got me a bar of their soap for Christmas, I love it. When I took it out of my stocking and unwrapped it I sort of squeeled! It smells so yummy!

Here is a little taste of their show...

I'm not sure when the new season of the show starts but keep your eyes out for it. It's not to miss!

Josh is so funny, this video makes me giggle...

There are many more stunning photos of life on Beekman farm on their website. Definitely give them a visit!

No comments: