Monday, August 1, 2011

The story of us

I've had a whirlwind of a few days. Friday night I worked until 8:30pm then set off for my home town of Yuba City straight from the store. I arrived around roughly 11:30pm, but only after stopping at McDonald's to get a hot fudge sundae... and a small fry. It hit the spot, and my shirt and my jeans.
Yesterday I was right back where it started, at work after driving back to the bay area at 9:00 the morning after a late night and restless sleep. Needless to say, I'm taking it easy today.


The whole point of my quick trip was to see some of my favorite people in the whole world, my best girlfriends. I am very blessed to have what I know a lot of people might not. I have known two of my best friends since preschool and kindergarten, the rest of them since seventh grade and high school. We're all still close, and though we may be in different points in our lives we can still come together and sit around for hours and hours talking. We laugh, we certainly cry and we watch videos of New Kids on the Block.
My drive back yesterday morning was spent with music off for the majority of the time. I was thinking about my friends and how far we've come and how far we still have to go. We're in our early thirties and having to deal with things that well, just aren't fair. And that's putting it mildly. At one point there were five of us sitting at the table, talking about some pretty serious stuff and we realized that each of us has gone through something horrible. Between the five of us there have been two divorces, a very sick newborn (who is a super rockin cool kid now), fertility problems and we're currently experiencing our first very sick parent.
I think the point of this ramble is to acknowledge the incredible strength and bond between girlfriends. Especially ones who have known each other for almost their whole lives. When my world crashed down around me I called one of them and she called another and they were with me a few days later. They dropped everything and came to support me. They cleaned out my refrigerator, brought me food and made me eat it. Only the truest of girlfriends is going to clean out your fridge!
How could we have known when we were ten and wearing our double tongue Reebok's and fighting over who was going to finish the Pepsi that one of us (not me) got in our lunches, that we'd be supporting each other years and years later? Sorry, that was one big run on sentence. 
We have so many memories that we still laugh about today. One that popped into my mind is this one...
It was a very special day when you didn't have to bring your lunch with you and your mom either came and got you and took you to lunch or brought you McDonald's. We were sitting in the playground/parking lot for lunch when M unwrapped her cheeseburger and exclaimed "look, a perfect bun!" The bun had no wrinkles or cracks, it was perfectly smooth. S reached over and stuck her finger in it. This isn't a remarkably funny story for most of  you, but knowing the personalities of my friends at that point in our lives it was very out of character for S to do that and it was hilarious!
Anyways, this was one big rambling post but this subject matter is really on my mind right now. I feel like I need to get it out so I can try to move on with my day.  Sorry for the more heavy subject matter than usual.

XOXO

No comments: