Friday, October 14, 2011

Creamy broccoli white bean soup

Hello all! Last week I made a super yummy dinner that I wanted to share with you! I found the recipe on Pinterest and on a whim decided to try it. It's very easy to make and it was quick. This the picture from Whole Living, my picture wasn't nearly as appetizing.
Find the recipe here.

Ingredients

1 head broccoli (1 pound), cut into florets, stems thinly sliced

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 yellow onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained

2 1/2 cups chicken stock

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted

1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan, for serving

Directions

1.Steam broccoli florets and stems until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup florets for garnish.

2.Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and add broccoli; puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with broccoli florets, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmesan.

Some of the changes I made...
I used a bag of frozen broccoli florets. I added butter. I threw in the whole can of beans, liquid and all. It could easily be adapted for a vegetarian!

No comments: