Friday, October 5, 2012

It's a puzzle.



Getting older has its benefits and its drawbacks. And for all of you “older” people out there rolling your eyes, I am by no means old but old enough to feel “older.”  One of the benefits is that you begin to know yourself better. I can actually look back at my life and see how much I have changed and grown. With this knowing of oneself you start to see what works for you and what doesn’t. One thing that I’ve noticed about myself is that while I crave organization (and all of the cool gadgets and storage containers that come with it) I am just not good at it. The weeks that I am organized and have my shiz together are the best weeks! My house is clean: I have food for real meals and clean laundry that is put away. Those weeks also tend to be the ones when I make my bed in the mornings. There really is some psychological benefit to coming home to a made bed. They are also few and far between. Last week was fabulous! This week: not so much. 
It’s a combination of factors really, that make for living an organized life. Part of it is that some people are just made that way. I am not. When it comes down to it, if I have a choice between spending another hour sewing or doing something creative over cleaning up the house, chances are I’m going to choose the former. I’m an artistic creative person, not a neatnick. One of the other factors is time. When I get busy I don’t have the time to do laundry, and meal plan and get groceries. Like last weekend, I was out of town and the day I would normally use to get those things done was unavailable. If I could have my way I’d always have Sunday’s to stay home and get those sorts of things done. But seeing as how I’m already battling being a hermit and my desire to stay home in my cocoon all day it doesn’t really work. I have places I want to go, and friends I want to see and things I want to do. I don’t know if it’s the change in season, or just a new phase of me, but I increasingly find lately that I just want to be at home, by myself. This doesn’t work well with attempting to meet someone. Unless the husband fairy is going to drop Mr. Perfect on my doorstep while I’m at home in my comfy pants, sewing.
So my conundrum is this… how does one balance being organized and keep on top of things like having food in the house and clean laundry, doing the things that feed your soul and make you feel alive and creatively nourished, and maintaining healthy relationships with friends and family? Oh, and don’t forget getting exercise!  Some weeks it works, some weeks it doesn’t. Is this just the way it’s going to be? And my goodness, I’m just me. What does one do when they have a husband and children in the mix too?  I would really like to find a way to make it all work more smoothly than it is now. If anyone has any tips or tricks to suggest for a hopelessly messy unorganized cocoon loving creative type please do share!

No comments: