Friday, June 4, 2010

We need nature... duh.

I've been pretty busy this week but I wanted to pop in and share this with you. If you ask me, it's a no-brainer but I guess we need studies to tell us it's good for us.


This is an excerpt from the article linked here.

We kind of already know this - if not intuitively then through past studies - but a new study has shown that when you spend more time out in nature, you feel more alive. Published in this month's issue of the Journal of Environmental Psychology, the study shows that getting out and communing with nature is better for feeling rejuvenated than reaching for the ever-so-urban cup of coffee. "Nature is fuel for the soul, " says Richard Ryan, lead author and a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester. Both physically and mentally, we're zippier when we step into the wild.

When I attended Greenbuild in Boston in November of 08' I went to a presentation on Biophilia. It was fascinating to me and I'd like to take it further and learn more some day. Again, it seems like a "duh" moment but as humans we need a connection to nature. Studies have even shown that images of nature can relax people more.
This is kind of a half ass blog post but I want you to go read that article and think about the next time you are stressed / tired / maxed out. Maybe a trip out of doors might make you feel a lot better than a cup of coffee or a Snickers bar.

No comments: